Hot Cells Facility (Objekt Vroča Celica, OVC) is intended for characterisation, sorting and treatment of radioactive materials.
The OVC comprises three rooms:
ROOM A: Manipulation room
ROOM B: Central preparatory room
ROOM C: Radiological measurements room
Room B comprises two hot cells VC1 and VC2 , and eight digestors (D1 – D8). Between the hot cells there is a depository for solid radioactive materials with 32 positions (dimensions Φ 100 mm x 100-250 mm). VC1 and digestors D1 – D4 se uporabljajo za delo z radioaktivnimi viri; dostop je iz the manipulation room A. VC2 presently serves as a radioactive material storage. Otherwise it can be upgraded for work with radioactive sources from the radiological measurements room C. The remaining four digestors (D5 – D8), located within the radiological measurements room C, are used for various measurements. All rooms are under continuous radiological surveillance.
Hot cells and digestors usage and equipment available
- VC1 is connected with the TRIGA reactor via pneumatic system for transferring irradiated samples. It is equipped with a device for the opening of irradiation containers and master-slave manipulators for handling radioactive sources. It is designed to work with activities of up to 1000 Ci (Co-60).
- VC2 is intended for storing radioactive sources with activities of up to 1000 Ci (Co-60).
- D1 and D2 are equipped with manipulators and intended to manipulate sources with activities of up to 10 Ci (Co-60).
- D3 and D4 are intended to manipulate sources with activities of up to 0.1 Ci (Co-60).
- D5 – D8 are intended for carrying out radiological measurements.
Equipment available at OVC
- Crane with load capacity of 3.5 tons
- Ultrasonic decontamination bath (dimensions 500 x 400 x 400 mm)
- Hidraulic press for compacting materials in standard 210 L casks
- Portable booth made from PVC-film strengthened poliester (dimensions 4 x 2.5 x 2.5 m)
- Mobile vacuum cleaner with HEPA filtration
- Electrical shears (for cutting 0.9 mm thick plates)
- Forklift truck with load capacity 1.5 tons
- Electronic balance with a load capacity 150 kg
Equipment for radiological characterisation
- Alpha spectrometer (six semiconductor detectors with a diameter of 2.4 cm)
- Low level alpha-beta counter (eight proportional detectors for samples with a diameter of up to 5.2 cm
- Gamma spectrometer for objects radiological characterisation (40% relative efficiency)
- Total alpha-beta counter for smears and filters (samples with diameters of up to 6 cm)